Friday, October 7, 2011

Do something nice today...

A great way to start feeling better about yourself is to just simply do something that you know will make someone else smile. It will help you smile and feel good. It is about as straightforward as that. It may be offering help to someone face to face or performing a random act of kindness that you never even see the outcome of. But knowing that whatever nice thing you do is a geniune act will give you a great sense of gratification.

This morning while walking my dog, I starting picking up all the newspapers that were delivered to the bottom of the driveway and placing them near the front door. I see neighbors scurrying out to get the newspaper in their robes all the time. I thought someone may really appreciate this because it was a cold morning. I never actually saw anyone's reaction, but I played the scene in my head as if I were there to witness it. I saw a person opening their door, look both ways getting ready to hurry down the driveway, and then realizing their paper was right at their feet! I imagined them looking up again gazing both ways, slightly confused why the newspaper that is always delivered inches from the street ended up inches from their door. I saw a subtle smile glaze over their face as they walked back in the house. My imagination running wild of what could have happened based on this simple act of kindness made me smile the entire rest of my walk! It felt so good to know that I was going to brighten someone's day by doing something so small.

So, you're probably thinking right now why would I go out of my way to do anything for anyone else when no one ever does anything for me? Well my question to you is why would anyone do anything for you when all you've been doing are things for yourself? I understand that some people may be less receptive to acts of kindness, but that should be incentive to continue those acts to help make the change in how people view each other. Plant your seed. Once you start being a little nicer to other people, you will start to see how much people will start being nicer towards you. Crazy thought huh? Well, it's is easy to lose site of this when you are caught up in your owns frustrations and anger.  

I thought of a challenge, more like a hand of harmony, to help you on this journey:

Every time you start to think about what isn't being done for you, do three acts of kindness. I guarantee you will see a shift in your attitude towards others, you will start to like doing nice things for other people, and you will find a lot more people want to go out of their way to do nice things for you too.

-JR

No comments:

Post a Comment