Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To be angry or to forgive: That is the Question

Anger is one of the strongest emotions emitted from a person. When anger takes over someone, guards go up, ideas about someone change, and the simplicity of being happy jumps out the window. But what draws anger? Passion. To be fully passionate about something and get let down from that one thing could immediately transpire into anger. But the challenge in our every day lives is to stay away from anger while maintaining your passionate attitude. That is one hard task to accomplish; I know. I personally have this challenge as one of the greatest things I need to work on.

So how can we stay away from anger? Or even more so, if anger does enter into our lives, how do we steer away from it? One word comes to mind when I think of this- FORGIVENESS. Regardless of how bad the situation is, forgive them. Instead of anger, be grateful for the lesson and move on. Everyone makes mistakes. It is easy to hold grudges sometimes making it near impossible to let go of. But this is what is essentially holding you back from happiness so just let go. This may take some time or it could be instaneous but finding a clear and forgiving mind before you approach someone about an issue is also extremely important. Forgive before someone asks for forgiveness- my hand of harmony today. 

Last night I took the wrong approach. I went into an apology still mad...and I came out mad. As I reflected on my way home, I came to the realization that I should have already forgave this person before I even went into it. I replayed it in my head. The apology could have been said, I would have said thank you, and we could have a great time. Instead, my anger about the situation overtook all other emotions. I went home and I meditated. A big shout out to DirecTV and their "Zen" music channel. In my meditation, I picked out all of the apology words that were said to me and only those words. I removed blame out of my head; I removed anger. My mind only saw forgiveness and appreciation. I became appreciative because this person was very much sorry for their actions. Although I was finally able to see a different side, it should have been done before I even decided to meet and talk about the problem. However, I am grateful that this happened because I am able to share this hand of harmony with you so that your forgiveness overpowers your anger you forgive before being asked for it.

Remember that forgiveness should overtake all of the angers in your life, even if an apology never comes. Always looking for something in return means your forgiveness is fake. True pardon of mistakes comes from within regardless of how someone reacts to what they've done. True strength is finding piece of mind even when you feel wronged the most.  If you are feeling angry about anything, take time to truly reflect on it and forgive. Your heart and your mind will only get beaten up more and more if anger and resentment are the only emotions filling it. But when you focus on your power of forgiveness, your strength to move on without a grudge, and your ability to find a balance between your passion and your anger, you truly grasp this hand of harmony.

I urge you to take this with you and forgive someone or something today... I know that is what I am going to do : )

No comments:

Post a Comment