Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lending out my first hand of harmony...

To begin, I want to share with you a personal recollection of an event that changed me as a person and challenged to me to appreciate my life in a much bigger way that I ever had before. In February of 2010, I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer at 23 years old. I was faced with something that led me to either let it take over and think that this was a punishment for any of my wrongdoings up to that point, or take it as a blessing in disguise to gain control of the strong person I have always defined myself as. I took the battle straight on and fought to achieve health again. Through my battle, I kept saying to myself, God only challenges the strong. I made it a point to beat the disease rather than let it take over my mind and body all by trusting the strength and will to achieve my goal…and I did.

One would think being able to overcome a challenge like Cancer would result in a grateful outlook and an appreciative attitude to the world from that point forward. And although my appreciation and gratefulness are plentiful, I do admit there have been points where I lose site of the simple fact that I was given a second chance. A recent example is in the way that I have been acting towards the people I love. I have shown little gratitude for the countless things my loved ones do for me. I became selfish and dwelled on all of my stress from work, a car accident that totaled my car, and even small things that went a different way than what I had wanted. I completely lost site of the bigger picture, and I even lost my boyfriend because he thought that I had taken advantage of him through my selfishness. Although I at first got angry because I had no idea what I was doing wrong but that was because I lost site. Once I was able to truly reflect, I realized I was becoming exactly who I was acting like. I was outwardly showing an awful person, when I knew deep down inside I was the complete opposite. I am actually a very caring, compassionate, and loving person and the only way for people to see that was if I showed them. It was then that I made a new challenge for myself- to find peace and harmony in the day to day life that has become my own because God only challenges the strong, right?

With that, I started to journal. My journal is a collection of quotes, songs, poems and original writings that I revisit when I do lose sight. Instead of focusing on the frustrations and stresses of everyday life, I focus on what I want my life to be, who I want to be, who I want to surround myself with, and how I will accomplish this. Deep down within my heart and soul, I know exactly who I am and who I am capable of being. The challenge for me, and the challenge I give to you is to outwardly share that amazing person you know you are. One can claim to be the greatest, but to trust who that person thinks they are, one must prove this through their actions. I encourage journaling as it gives you the opportunity to put down on paper your appreciations, capabilities, strengths, attitudes, will power, and however you define yourself. Then by going back and reading what you have wrote, you can re-examine exactly what it takes to become the person you created on paper. The process of revisiting should be one that happens frequently, especially to those who only have thoughts of what they want rather than beliefs that it will happen. Once you are able to believe in yourself, it becomes a reality. I believe that your inward peace of my mind and harmony is the first step to sharing this with the world. And so, I lend you my first hand of harmony by sharing an original quote:

“To have an abundance of happiness in life, one must first plant the seed deep within themselves. Invoke a world of laughter, smiles, and love in the harvest of one’s own harmony. The manifestation of true bliss will, in turn, reap a world of happiness for everyone and everything around.”

No comments:

Post a Comment